Saturday, September 6, 2014

The first week: So many pelmeni...

I'm one week in and it feels like I've been here much longer for some reason. Jet-lag has finally been defeated, thank God. The order of the following events may not be exactly chronological, but I'll do my best.

So one of the days this week, we went looking around Moscow. Taking the metro to the center of the city, we saw the Kremlin, St. Basil's Cathedral, and a big mall called GUM (rhymes with broom). Unfortunately the Kremlin and St. Basil's were surrounded by police and closed off for some huge "military music festival." I think there may have been some pretty shoddy translating work done on some of the posters, as a few of them said that it was a "military tattoo festival." This weekend, both Saturday and Sunday, Moscow is celebrating its 867th birthday, so that's why the festival. Here's some pictures from the day we were at the Kremlin (maybe Tuesday?):

St. Basil's Cathedral

GUM mall at Red Square

Lenin Library, one of the state libraries in Moscow.
Inside one of the metro stations. They have chandeliers, very fancy.
The subtitle of this post will be explained in a continuation that I will have to write later. I have to leave now to get ready for a classical music concert and fireworks near Red Square tonight. I'll put more up tonight or tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment